The holidays are a special time of year when we take a break from our busy lives to appreciate the little things. As we stop to enjoy our loved ones, exchange gifts, and share delicious meals together, it’s also a great time to remember our neighbors in need and do something to make our community a better place. At CUMAC, our team will be working hard this month to ensure that all of our clients have the holiday season they deserve. If you would like to spread some holiday cheer with us, here are seven simple ways you can help make a difference:
1. DONATE – Consider giving to CUMAC this month to support our life-changing programs! Thanks to a special 2-for-1 match in memory of Elizabeth Soechting, every donation in December will allow our team to serve even more of our hungry neighbors. That means $50 can become $150! Donate today to help us reach our goal and triple your impact! Offer ends 12/31.
2. HOLD A FOOD DRIVE – Many families around our community are struggling to make ends meet and rely on CUMAC to keep food on the table. Food drives are a great way to ensure that we can feed these families and all who come our way! Need help organizing your collection? Contact our office or check out these collection tips.
3. COLLECT COATS - Do you have any unused coats or winter clothing just sitting around your home? Donate your new or gently used items to CUMAC! At this time of year we see countless community members struggling to stay warm. Help keep our clients comfy this season by donating or collecting coats, hats, scarves, and other winter clothing. Something as simple a pair of gloves can make someone’s day!
4. VOLUNTEER – “Many hands make light work.” Spread some holiday cheer by donating your time to CUMAC this December! Our pantry is serving thousands of our neighbors in need every month, which means help is regularly needed around our building to sort and pack food and other resources. Whether you’re volunteering for an hour or a full day, it all makes a difference! To learn more about volunteering visit our opportunities page.
5. STOP BY ABMA'S FARM – Our wonderful friends at Abma’s Farm (located in Wyckoff, NJ) have a Giving Tree to help struggling families this season. Visit Abma’s any time this month for delicious foods, and remember to buy an ornament for the tree while you’re there! Proceeds from the Giving Tree (through January 6) will be matched by Abma’s for purchase of fresh, local food for our clients! How great is that? Read more on their website. Thank you Abma's!
6. VISIT CUMAC, BRING A FRIEND —There’s power in numbers. And with hunger affecting 1 million people in New Jersey, we’ll take all the help we can get! Stop by our building for a tour, see our programs in action, and learn about ways you can be a light for our community. To schedule a tour, call or e-mail our office.
7. GIVE WHILE YOU SHOP – Many of us will be finishing (or starting) our holiday shopping in the next couple of weeks, why not help the hungry while you’re at it? If you’re online shopping for gifts, consider using AmazonSmile or Goodshop. A portion of every purchase will be donated to CUMAC’s programs!
Whether it’s during the holidays or any other time of year, remember there’s never a bad time to give back. Through small acts of kindness we can all make a big impact. Happy holidays everyone and thank you for all that you do!